Sunday, October 19, 2008

COLDER WEATHER - DRYER SKIN

Our skin is supposed to retain moisture and keep out the bad stuff. When temperatures are dropping, moisture evaporates, therefore, your skin cannot do it's job. Here's what you can do to keep your skin moisturized.

Cleansing - For your face, use creamy cleansers, nothing that has a lather. Then, rinse with warm water. If you have acne prone skin like I do, then use something that has benzoyl peroxide or beta-hydroxy acid.
For your body, use a moisturizing body wash. Like I said before, your shower should be 15 minutes at the max. Water can strip away skin's natural oils. Shower with warm water, not hot.

Exfoliating - Exfoliate your face twice a week to remove dead skin cells. Scrub your T-zone and massage your cheeks.
Every 2 or 3 days, lift away dead skin cells from your body with oil-based scrubs. Gently pat dry.

Moisturizing - Instead of lotion, use cream containing glycerin for your face (unless you have oily like mine).
On your body, use a generous amount of lotion after showering & before bed. Don't forget to pay more attention to those dry areas such as hands, elbows, heels and knees.

My skin gets very dry & itchy on a daily basis. Here are products I like to use to help tame it a bit:
- Eucerin Daily Replenishing lotion. I love Eucerin in general. It really keeps my skin moisturized & even though this may cost around $6+ for a bottle, it's worth it. May loves Aquaphor, which is also made by Eucerin.
- BananaBoat sunblock SPF 50. Sunblock is important. You should wear it EVERYDAY. Besides the fact that it helps prevent my skin from aging, protects my skin from the dangerous UV rays, it actually keeps my skin moiturized. It does feel a little bit greasy, but I don't mind it. Too bad this doesn't come in as a lotion.
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. When I was younger, my doctor recommended me Cetaphil body wash, back when the label was just plain blue. If you don't mind the fact that you won't be smelling flowers, or the tropics, or anything at all since this is fragrant free, you'll like this a lot.

If you know of any great products that you swear by, please share!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cetaphil makes really good products!!

i noticed you listed inexpensive brands.... but i want to add that i SWEAR by this line called boscia... it is pricy, but it is designed for sensitive skin and feels amazing on your face.

their cleansing creme works wonders in this dry cold weather.

Related Posts with Thumbnails